COLD CHICKPEA AND GRILLED ZUCCHINI SOUP or ZUPPA FREDDA DI CECI E ZUCCHINE GRIGLIATE
I am really enjoying the RedBubble community and I’m happy I joined. I was even happier when I received the card with my photos on that I had ordered to see what they look like because the quality is excellent and my photos print really well so I can safely recommend them if you are interested in using unique cards of high quality. You can see some of the cards in the photo above and here you can browse the 144 photos I have uploaded so far.
Right now I am being flooded with zucchini, almost every night I hear my name being called outside the fence facing the kitchen door and hidden among the leaves stands my neighbour Virgilio with a bunch of them. Or cucumbers. I feel almost as if he has become my pusher but at least his goods are legal and healthy! But I really need to use my imagination to use up all these zucchini so when I wanted to make a cold chickpea summer soup, I immediately thought about zucchini and one minute later I was grilling the first slices!
This is my entry to this month’s HotM, the theme is Budget Friendly (and heart healthy) Foods and it is hosted by Michelle.
COLD CHICKPEA AND GRILLED ZUCCHINI SOUP
300 g/10,6 oz chickpeas, cooked
300 g/ 10,6 oz zucchini
700-1000 ml/3-4,2 cups chicken stock
rosemary, preferably fresh and finely chopped
parmesan cheese, freshly grated, optional
extra-virgin olive oil
- Slice the zucchini thinly length-wise.
- Grill the slices on both sides, either on a grill or in a grill pan.
- Gently fry onion and the grilled zucchini slices in a little olive oil together with the rosemary for a couple of minutes. Keep some slices for decoration
- Add the chickpeas and cook for another 2-3 minutes before adding the stock. If you want a lighter soup, add the higher amount.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- When the soup is ready you run it in a blender until smooth. If you want the parmesan, now it is the time to add it. Stir well and let it get nice and cold. You can obviously eat it warm or tepid if you want.
- Cut the zucchini slices you saved into strips or pieces and use them as garnish when you serve the soup.