RICE CAKE WITH VEGETABLE AND MOZZARELLA FILLING- Gluten-free
If you didn’t think of it you would not classify this dish as gluten-free would you? But it is if you use cornmeal instead of breadcrumbs for the dusting of the form. And it is a dish open for your own interpretation, I used the vegetables I had at hand but you can add and subtract just like you feel like and create new interesting combinations every single time you make it! Apart from having to turn on the oven which can be a bit trying when there’s a heatwave on, the fact that it is good to eat cold/tepid too makes is a perfect summer dish!
RICE CAKE WITH VEGETABLE AND MOZZARELLA FILLING – Gluten-free
340 g/12 oz rice, preferably risotto rice
4-5 full tblsp parmesan, freshly grated
10-12 asparagus spears
1 big red or yellow bell pepper
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
thyme, fresh if you have
200 g/7 oz mozzarella, take more if you want, cut into strips or cubes
cornmeal or breadcrumbs
extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook the rice until al dente, remember that it has to be baked in the oven so it is good if it is not overcooked right from the start. Drain eventual liquid and hen add the parmesan and stir really well.
- Dice the vegetables and cook them slowly with the thyme in some olive oil until they have softened and have become golden.
- Grease an oven-proof form and dust it with cornmeal (or breadcrumbs), spread out half of the rice, press it a bit before adding the vegetables.
- Put a layer of mozzarella on the vegetables and then cover with the rest of the rice.
- Press down to make an even surface, brush it olive oil and bake in a pre-heated oven (200°C/390°F) for approx 20 minutes. When to top has become golden it is usually time!