CHOCOLATE BROWNIES WITH CHICKPEA FLOUR AND HAZELNUTS – GLUTEN-FREE
These brownies are a total revelation to me, I’d never had thought that it was possible to make close to perfect (and the not so perfect aspects are due to me and not the type of flour used) brownies with chickpea flour but it is! I have been thinking about baking with chickpea flour for quite awhile now but never dared to try but first I saw a bread using chickpea flour and then I saw a chocolate cake recipe on a Swedish food blog where they by mistake had made a chocolate cake with chickpea flour and discovered that it turned out even better and after that I just went for it like my dog goes for the cats that dare to come into our garden. And I love it! No one in this house realized that these brownies were made with chickpea flour (I obviously never tell them anything when I experiment because I know all about how they react if there’s something out of the ordinary) and they still don’t know. And the brownies I made yesterday are no more, not a single trace of them… And you can rest assured that this path will be properly explored, I want to know if you need chocolate to cover any eventual chickpea flavour traces or if it works in other types of cakes as well. So here it is, it’s Friday-it’s Gluten-free Friday! And to all of you who are not suffering from gluten intolerance – try this recipe anyway, imagine how nice it is to able to eat brownies and feel that you are actually eating something that is good for you! Well, apart from the fat and the sugar that is but then life’s about keeping the balance between good and bad isn’t it?
CHOCOLATE BROWNIES WITH CHICKPEA FLOUR AND HAZELNUTS- GLUTEN-FREE
200 g/7 oz sugar
150 g/5,3 oz butter
1 pinch of salt
100 g/ 3,5 oz dark quality chocolate
2-4 tblsp cocoa powder, the whole amount gives a grown-up, full chocolate flavour
50 g toasted hazelnuts, chopped
80 g/2,8 oz chickpea flour
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a small pan. If you are doing it the perfect way you do it in a bain-marie but I never noticed any difference when I melt chocolate with butter so I do it the easiest way. Let it cool down a little.
- Whisk eggs and sugar fluffy before adding the butter and chocolate. Stir well.
- Add salt and hazelnuts to the batter.
- Sift flour and cocoa and add it to the rest. Mix very well and pour into a greased square cake tin, I used the size 25×23 cm/9,8×9 in.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (175°C/350°F) for about 25 minutes, it depends on how high they are so use a toothpick.