This ‘recipe’ has been around for ages, I don’t know why I never posted it when I made it, I think it was because I didn’t like the photos because the meatballs were great! But now is the time to disregard aesthetic principles and go for the flavour because here we have lots and lots of flavour embedded into the meatballs, capers, sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella made them really tasty. And they are so simple to make. The only problem is that I have forgotten the exact measures so I can only give you a recipe sketch.
egg but it works without, it just keeps together better with an egg
capers in salt
– Prepare two small bowls with tepid water and put the sun-dried tomatoes in one and the salted capers in the other. Leave to soak for 20-30 minutes.
– Cut the mozzarella into small pieces or cubes. Chop capers and tomatoes finely. Mix them all.
– Mix the minced meat with the egg and a little salt, not too much because the capers and tomatoes are salt already.
– Take some minced meat and flatten it out to an oval, put some of the capers-tomato-mozzarella mix along the middle and fold and press the meat over the filling. It is easiest done in the palm of your hand. Go on until you have finished the meat. You can any forms you want actually.
– Fry in olive oil all around and serve with a fresh salad or whatever you feel like.
Some recipes with meatballs here on Lucullian, for more see the recipe index: