HotM 23 and GREEN CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH CAPERS AND LEMON
I wish it was as easy to shed whatever it is that you don’t like about yourself and your life as it is to change into a new year. It really would be very nice if it went as automatic as the clock ticks over from one year to another but alas it isn’t. But that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t make the effort so here we go with new spirits and hopes. Lately The Heart of the Matter has lost a lot of it geist and there have been fewer entries but we, me, Joanna, Michelle want to give it another chance to recuperate its vitality so we have decided to give and HotM one more chance because we believe very much in it. Both in healthier cooking because it is good for us and in the idea of storing all the roundups in a special blog, The Heart of the Matter blog, so that it is easy to go there and search for a healthy recipe when you need one. But if HotM is going to survive, you have to participate! And we hope you will, this month I am hosting and the theme is Slimmer Recipes; we want heart healthy (less (animal) fats, lean meat, less salt, more vegetables, more fruit, more fish are the main aspects, check out the HotM blog for links to more information) and tasty dishes that you eat when you want to loose some of that excess weight we tend to accumulate over the Christmas and New Year celebrations. Salads, soups, casseroules, pasta, desserts, baking-whatever you want and as many entries you want as long as it is heart healthy but slimming food usually are so this will be very easy for you! Please send me your entries to luculliandelights AT gmail DOT com before midnight (your) on the 28th of January, please don’t use your post for other events – that way we can keep things centred on healthy heart awareness!
And here I interrupt to announce that the Paper Chef is on this weekend, the 4 ingredients are up and I hope to be able to include your creations in the roundup next week! Want to know more? Read here!
Back to the HotM, I am going to be the first out with a soup. This is probably not a soup for everyone as there are a lot of capers in it and capers is something that you usually love or you hate! I love them, obviously, and I also love cauliflower and the combination of the two is a good one in my eyes (or should I say taste buds?).
GREEN CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH CAPERS AND LEMON
1 small cauliflower, green if you can find it
1 clove of garlic
2 anchovy fillets
4-5 capers in salt
extra-virgin olive oil
– Put the capers in water to soak.
– Divide the cauliflower into small florets.
– Slice the leek and chop the garlic. Heat up some olive oil in a pan and gently fry the anchovy, leek and garlic stirring all the time until the anchovy has dissolved.
– Add the cauliflower and go on cooing for 4-5 minutes.
– Add stock (or water) until it covers the cauliflowers and a little more. Add the smaller amount of capers and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
– Blend the soup in a mixer until smooth, taste and add more capers if needed. If you do you can either leave them as they are or do another run with the blender.
– Add freshly squeezed lemon juice, stir and serve.