BROWN RICE WITH HERB MARINATED BROCCOLI, ZUCCHINI AND DAIKON – Gluten-free Friday
Another Gluten-free Friday, I have been wanting to make some cookies that are buzzing in my head but I just haven’t had the time this week so that will have to wait until next week when work should be less urgent. But I do have something gluten-free for you, maybe not one of those dishes you serve at a dinner party but a very good filling comforting dinner or lunch dish. I love brown rice, I like the crunchiness it has and the flavour of brown rice beats white any day. I steamed the broccoli and zucchini and then marinated them together with raw daikon sticks in lemon juice, fresh herbs and extra-virgin olive oil. I cooked the vegetables completely because I wanted to mash them in the vinaigrette to thicken it and add to the comfort aspect of the dish but feel free to use more al dente cooked vegetables!
BROWN RICE WITH HERB MARINATED BROCCOLI, ZUCCHINI AND DAIKON
500 ml/2,1 cups brown rice
500 g/17,6 oz broccoli
1/2 daikon root or Japanese radish
fresh herbs, rosemary, thyme, parsley or any herbs you feel like, finely chopped
extra-virgin olive oil
- Peel the daikon and cut them into thin strips or slice it thinly
- Steam or cook the vegetables. Divide the broccoli in florets and slice the zucchini.
- Mix the lemon juice, herbs, salt and olive oil and pour it over the hot vegetables. If you do it my way, you mash them slightly to bt a thicker vinaigrette. Leave to marinate.
- Meanwhile you cook the brown rice, it takes about twice as long as white rice.
- Put the rice in a bowl and pour the vegetables, mix a little and serve.
Some recipes with brown rice here on Lucullian, for more see the recipe index: