HOT EGGPLANT ROLLS WITH SMOKED TUNA, FRIED BREAD AND PINENUTS and PASTA WITH EGGPLANT, CHILI PEPPER, SMOKED TUNA AND PINENUTS
After all my talking about the Paper Chef I could hardly skip it could I? So here it is, my entry for this month’s Paper Chef, hosted by Owen over at Tomatilla. The four ingredients are (I write are because there’s still time if you want to participate) chili pepper, eggplant, smoked swordfish (or any other smoked fish or something else if you are a vegan or allergic) and something that fits in with the word Home. I suppose you can choose how to interpret that but I went for the most obvious and chose something that I had at home and that I thought would improve my PC entry: pine nuts. I couldn’t find smoked swordfish so I used smoke tuna instead but they are quite similar taste wise.
I have made two dishes, one starter, Hot Eggplant Rolls with Smoked Tuna, Fried Bread and Pinenuts, and one primo, Pasta with Eggplant, Chili Pepper, Smoked Tuna and Pinenuts, and I’m quite happy with both but especially with the primo, it was crowned a winner yesterday by the harshest of judges, Marco. And it is a nicely balanced dish – hot and savoury with some sweetness from the eggplant.
HOT EGGPLANT ROLLS WITH SMOKED TUNA, FRIED BREAD AND PINENUTS
1 chubby medium eggplant
3-4 slices of smoked tuna
1-2 slices of bread
1 dried chili pepper
1-2 tblsp pinenuts
Extra virgin olive oil
- Slice the eggplant thinly and fry the slices in olive oil together with the crumbled chili pepper until golden. Put them to dry on some kitchen towel paper.
- Dice the bread and fry it in the same oil until they are golden. Leave to drip off excess oil.
- Chop the tuna and mix it with the fried bread and the pinenuts.
- Put some of the mix in the middle of each eggplant slice and make rolls of them. If you need, you can use a tooth pick to fasten the rolls.
PASTA WITH EGGPLANT, CHILI PEPPER, SMOKED TUNA AND PINENUTS
1 medium eggplant
3-4 slices smoked tuna
1 dried chili pepper/peperoncino
2-3 tblsp pinenuts
- Start with putting the pasta water on the fire and the throw in the pasta while you are cooking the eggplants. Obviously when the water is boiling.
- Dice the eggplant and sauté it in olive oil and the crumbled chili pepper until it is golden. Add the pinenuts when it’s half ready.
- Chop the smoked tuna coarsely and add it to the eggplant just before you mix it with the cooked pasta.