Fantastic Four – a meme
I have been tagged for this meme by Julia of A Slice of Cherry Pie and as I rarely refuse to do one, here we go again. I have different feelings when it comes to memes, on the one hand I have an innate dislike of doing what everyone else is doing and doing a meme that is going around on a lot of blogs is indisputably that. But on the other hand, I like memes because they reveal things about the memee, they force me to think and I always feel flattered that someone wants to include me. That’s the childish part of me wanting to belong to a group, standing there on the outside looking in. It’s also a bit sick, I want to belong to something I really don’t want to belong to, a group. But to continue this exposee of my strange mind, I really enjoy belonging to the food blogging community because I find it a very free kind of ‘group’. So thank you Julia for including me!
4 jobs I have had in my life
1. I worked extra in a home for old people when I was at university. Hard work but I actually liked it a lot, especially when I did nights and had time to talk to those who rang and needed some human contact.
2. Before our youngest was born, I taught at the University of Siena and I liked that too. Not so much the ‘ambiance’ as the students, it was so gratifying when you could see that they understood what I was saying and it made them think and go further.
3. As a student I cleaned stairs in condos for a while, I usually did it nighttime when I was on my way back home after a night out. I don’t recommend that.
4. Between 16 and 19 I worked every weekend in a sort of museum village, I can’t say that I liked it very much but it was absolutely wonderful to earn my own money and never have to ask my parents for any. And I worked with nice people so it was OK.
4 Places I have lived
1. Kiruna in the very north of Sweden between 2-9 yrs of age.
2. Uppsala, Sweden
3. Paris for about a year
4. London for about a year
4 places I have been on holiday
1. Laesoe in Denmark, lots and lots of times
2. Various places in Italy, having had sentimental bonds with Italy (boyfriend, husband) for more than 25 years I realize that I’ve spent all my vacation time going here when I lived in Sweden and now we go to Sweden. It’s getting quite boring actually.
4 of my favourite foods
3. Red rare meat
4 places I would rather be right now
I’m quite happy here where I am right now, just having come back from Sweden.
So I add my own category:
4 of my favourite books
1. La vie di Henri Brulard by Stendhal, it’s the first part of his autobiography and I loved it so much that I don’t dare to reread it.
2. Desolation Angels by Jack Kerouac. I was obsessed with his books when I was around 20, I read them all and wrote even a paper about his theory of language/writing when I was studying American literature. I reread some of them some time ago and I still love his writing. This is the one I love the most.
3. A Tramp Abroad by Mark Twain. Wonderful, I have an edition from 1880 with beautiful and fun illustrations that always make me happy!
4. An Omelette and a Glass of Wine by Elizabeth David never deludes me. The best of food writing!