COLD CUCUMBER, ALMOND AND BASIL SOUP WITH ALMOND AND PARMESAN CRACKERS
It’s not the best day to eat cold cucumber soup but I have been thinking about this soup now for quite a while and me and my youngest daughter are having a cosy day indoors, keeping the rain and the cold outdoors. So why not make it and pretend it’s warm and sunny?
I have been looking around for cold cucumber soups and noticed that most of them use yogurt but I wanted to make a different kind of soup because I’m not particularly fond of yogurt soups, they easily get a sharp taste to them, so I wanted a different base for the soup. My choice fell on almonds which turned out to be quite lucky because then I could make some special crackers of the leftovers to go with the soup!
COLD CUCUMBER, ALMOND AND BASIL SOUP
100 g / 3 1/2 oz blanched almonds
150 ml / 5.3 fl oz boiling water
450 ml / 16 oz peeled cucumber
5 (or more) large basil leaves
- Run the blanched almonds in a blender until they turn into flour, put it in a bowl and then pour the boiling over it. Leave it to cool down.
- When it’s cooler you press out as much liquid you can out of the almonds.
- Cut the cucumbers into pieces and put these and the basil leaves into the blender. Add the almond milk and run the blender until it has become a smooth cream.
- Add salt and leave it to get really cold in the fridge.
ALMOND AND PARMESAN CRACKERS
What’s left of the almonds
10-12 tbsp flour
2 pinches of salt
4 tsp olive oil
4 generous tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Mix all the ingredients until it has become a dough.
- Dust a cutting board and roll it out. Cut the dough into any shape you feel like.
- Take a skillet and bake the crackers on both sides in it on medium heat.
- Serve the soup with the crackers!