CANNELLONI ALLA KIA
Ellie, Ellie what have you done? I have been wandering down memory lane and made a dish that I haven’t tasted since anno dazumal just because of you hosting this one off event Nostalgia. And it was really nice because it made me remember a lot of things that I had half forgotten.
My first real favorite dish was the cannelloni my mother started to make on special occasions when we moved from the very north of Sweden to a town 30 km south of Stockholm. I remember so well what the recipe looked like, it came with a woman’s magazine called Damernas Värld (it means more or less Ladies’ World) that my mother bought once a week. It still exists but it’s a monthly nowadays. Anyway it was rather chic in those days, a lot of fashion, a bit of gossip, a bit of cooking and all the things that you find in women’s magazines. I read it avidly, every word was devoured and I early became very knowledgeable in areas like fashion, makeup and gossip. Not that I had much use for it but that didn’t matter. I think my mother mostly bought it for the fashion, she was one of those persons who coordinated the colour of shoes, handbag and gloves; she was actually a very contradictory sort of woman because even though she did and really cared about things like that, she happily went out and chopped wood or spray painted our car, something that has coloured my own idea of what it means to be a woman. I’m digressing but blame Ellie, she’s the one who started this.
Anyway, my mother was a great cook as well and often tried the recipes she found in cookbooks and magazines and the cannelloni was one of these. I fell completely in love with the dish and now I wonder if it was a premonition of what was to come? The strange thing is that I haven’t eaten cannelloni for so many years that I can’t even remember the last time and I have never ever made any so I thought this was a great opportunity to finally eat them again. I did a lot of looking around in my cookbooks, there are so many different recipes, but I decided to go for the cannelloni I remembered and believe it or not, apart from the pasta rolls that were thicker then and probably bought ready made because I remember them being perfectly round, something quite impossible to achieve when you make the pasta yourself, when I took my first bite I could feel the taste of my childhood cannelloni! Thanks Ellie!
CANNELLONI ALLA KIA
Fresh pasta in rectangular sheets or ready made cannelloni rolls
500 g / 17.6 oz minced meat
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2-1 ladle of tomato sauce
Grated cheese, I used a mix between parmesan and pecorino but I think that the right cheese to use is caciocavallo, my mother certainly used a Swedish cheese
– Braise the carrot, celery and onion in some olive oil until soft and then add the minced meat and go on cooking until all the meat has sort of browned. Stir all the time so that it doesn’t get clumpy. Don’t forget to add salt.
– Now you add the tomato sauce and cook on. Let it simmer for at least an hour which means that you have to add some water now and then.
– When the meat sauce is ready, you put a spoonful or two on the rectangular pasta sheet and then you make it into a roll.
– Put the cannelloni rolls into a dish with a little olive oil at the bottom and spread the grated cheese over them before you bake them in a pre-heated oven until they are golden.
– Eat and think of me! Or maybe better not, just enjoy them!