Cyber Chef Menu
Some of you probably follow the World Championships of soccer that is taking place in Germany right now, others probably don’t even know it’s going on. I wish I was part of the second contingent because I have problems with it in two ways, one is because I’m not particularly fond of soccer (it has to be a really good match where they really play and not just chase the ball or try to protect the 0) and the second is that I don’t like nationalism and on occasions like this is a feeling that is bound to run high. Anyway, Italy is a country obsessed with soccer and despite the recent scandals in the world of soccer here, people are following the World Championships with great interest, especially when Italy is playing!
The other day I went into the city just before the match between Italy and Czechoslovakia started, and I was startled by the heavy traffic and with how fast everyone seemed to be driving until I realized that the match was going to start in 10 minutes and that most of the drivers were male. I can also tell you that most of the people that went shopping that afternoon were female…
The Swedish edition of the Paper Chef has just concluded its third round and this time it was an English speaking food blog that was ‘crowned’ as June’s Cyber Chef, Anne of Anne’s Food won it with this appetizing composition! I participated as well but I did cheat a bit as I spread out the four ingredients on a menu instead of using them all at once. The ingredients were lamb, asparagus, dark chocolate and phyllo pastry but I had to use puff pastry because I couldn’t find it. This is what I presented:
ASPARAGUS WRAPPED IN PUFF PASTRY
1-3 stalks of asparagus per person
– Gently sauté the asparagus in some olive oil until it is soft but still al dente. Salt and pepper it.
– Cut strips of puff pastry (about 1 cm wide) that you wrap around each stalk in a fashion that suits you.
– Bake in a pre-heated oven (225° centigrades)until golden.
LAMB CHOPS IN PARMESAN AND PINE NUT COATING WITH ASPARGUS SAUCE AND A PUFF PASTRY ‘COOKIE’
8 lamb chops
8 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
4 tbsp pine nuts
– Run the parmesan and the pine nuts in a blender until it looks like bread crumbs.
– Coat the lamb chops well.
– Fry them in olive oil and butter.
About 10 asparagus stalks
– Sauté the asparagus in some oil, add some salt.
– When the stalks are soft, you run them in a food processor until you have a smooth and creamy sauce. Add water until you get the consistence you want.
– Heat it up before serving.
Puff pastry ‘cookies’
– Cut out shapes o puff pastry and bake them in a pre-heated oven (225° centigrades) until they are golden.
PUFF PASTRY BUNDLE WITH APRICOTS AND DARK CHOCOLATE
10-12 ripe apricots
4-5 tbsp sugar or more, it all depends on how sweet the apricots are but it’s better if it is sweeter
Coarsely chopped dark chocolate
– Cut the apricots into small pieces and cook them slowly with a knob of butter and the sugar.
– When they have softened, remove them from the heat.
– Cut out squares (20×20 cm) or circles (with 20 cm diameter) and put 3-4 tbsp of the apricot mash in the middle of each of them. Make little bundles of them, closing carefully by nipping the pastry together. If you want it to look nicer you can tie a puff pastry ribbon around the top.
– Bake them in a pre-heated oven (225° centigrades) until golden.
– Let them cool down a little before serving.